Search Suggestions
Close Search Suggestions
A - Z of Resident Services:
You are here:
Civil Partnerships

Civil Partnership

The Civil Partnership Act 2004 enables a same sex couple to register as civil partners of each other.

Image of two champange flutes at a Civil PartnershipA Civil Partnership is registered once the couple has signed a Schedule in the presence of two witnesses and a Civil Partnership Registrar. Whilst there is no legal requirement for any contractual words to be exchanged the Registration Service is able to provide a ceremony thus enabling a couple, if they wish, to celebrate their union.
Worcestershire offers a wide range of facilities in which ceremonies may be held. These include registration offices as well as over 60 approved venues throughout the county which have been inspected, approved and licensed by the Registration Service

Arrangements for civil partnerships should be discussed with the local Registration Office who will advise on the legal formalities.

Civil partners who can register a civil partnership are two people:

  • Of the same sex
  • 16 or over (with consent if under 18)
  • Not already married or in a civil partnership
  • Not closely related (e.g. Parent, Sister, Niece, Uncle)
  • Can register a civil partnership

Having decided to register a civil partnership, notice of intention to register that partnership must be given, in person, by both parties. It would be usual for a notice to be given at the Register Office closest to where each person lives, but a person living in Worcestershire is able to give notice at any Registration Office within the county if that proves more convenient. If a couple live in different registration authorities, notice will need to be given in both areas.

A notice of intention to register a partnership, once given, is valid for 12 months. From the date it is electronically entered, a period of 15 clear days must lapse before a civil partnership may be registered.

Ceremonies can take place at any of our Registration Offices in Worcestershire or any of our Approved Premises.

When giving notice each party will need to provide proof of name, age, residency within a registration area and nationality. If you have been married before or been through a previous Civil Partnership registration, you will need to produce evidence that you are legally free to enter into another registration.

There is a wide variety of documents that may be accepted as proof so couples are advised to check with their local Register Office as to their suitability.

Was this information helpful?

Please rate the content of this page
Would you like to provide any additional comments relating to the content of this page? Your feedback will help us to improve the content of our web pages

This page was last reviewed 23 September 2014 at 9:33.
The page is next due for review 21 March 2016.